aka, chipotle at home. on your couch. in front of the NBA playoffs or recordings of nashville. tell me who doesn't love that.
i'm not going to lie to y'all - we probably make these about once every 10 days on average. the salsa. the. salsa. i eat it out of the bowl. i just can't help myself.
next time you're craving some mexican, don't worry your pretty little head - just turn to this recipe and all your dreams will come true. don't be intimidated by the long ingredient list - you probably have most of this around.
black bean burrito bowls
ingredients | serves two + leftovers
cilantro lime brown rice
- 1/2 cup dry brown rice
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
corn & tomato salsa (THE salsa, you guys)
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh, frozen, canned, your choice)
- 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 small tomato, chopped or 10-15 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small jalepeño, seeded and finely chopped (keep the seeds in there for a hot version)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 (150z) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- shredded cheese
- pickled jalepeños for more heat
- sour cream or nonfat plain greek yogurt
- salsas of your choice
- the list goes on and on...
- For the rice: put your water and salt into a pot and bring to a boil. place rice in boiling water and cook according to the package directions. once rice is fully cooked, combine with the olive oil, lime juice, and cilantro. toss well and set aside.
- for the salsa: combine all ingredients listed under salsa and let it sit to blend the flavors while you finish cooking.
- for the beans: heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat. add your olive oil, onion, garlic, scallion, and bell pepper and sauté until soft, 3-5 minutes. add 1/2 cup water, vinegar, beans, bay leaf, and spices and bring to a boil. reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid dissolves. remove bay leaf.
- for the finale: plate your rice (1/2 cup), beans (1/2 cup), then top with your homemade salsa (1/4 cup). finish with avocado, cheese, and anything else your heart desires.
this is a staple in our household. i truly think i don't think i'd be able to survive without knowing that we pretty much have all of the ingredients on hand at all times to make it. it's a survival tactic.
hope you and yours enjoy it just as much as we do!