there’s nothing better on a cold morning than something warm and filling that you can cozy up on the couch with. enter: banana bread oatmeal. (and coffee, naturally.)
i made this for the first time earlier this year when it was freezing cold, and now it's just starting to turn a little colder. yes, for those of you who are baffled - it does get cold in california (at least where i am.). and my darling fiancé loves to keep the apartment lets just say i’m a layering professional at this point.
you’ll love this oatmeal - we make it at least 2-3x per week since it’s that good.
banana bread oatmeal | source: chef haley’s brain
ingredients | serves one
- ½ cup rolled oats (also seen as old fashioned oats)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- pat of butter
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- handful of almonds (better yet, pecans)
- chopped banana
*as you can tell, my measurements are pretty exact for this recipe… kidding. it’s very simple, but all based on preference, so start with a little and add more to your liking.
- mix together rolled oats and almond milk in a microwave safe bowl.
- heat for 2 minutes in the microwave. stir, and heat again in the microwave for 30 more seconds. (timing may vary, but i heat in the microwave until it’s thick and there’s no liquid remaining.)
- throw in a tsp of brown sugar, pat of butter, pinch of salt, and pinch of cinnamon. stir well - it will get all melty, a little brown, and delicious-looking.
- next, throw in your almonds and chopped banana.
so so easy and yummy, right? next time you wake up and you’re feeling the fall weather, spend your morning making this with a cup of hot coffee and a nice fleece blanket paired with a book (or a blog).