you guys. these burgers are so dangerously good. they make me want to give up other burgers all together. and the fries?! i can't even talk about them. i'm literally craving them as i type this sentence. i am a french fry devotee and these baked ones are worthy of their own food group.
the salsa verde gives these burgers a great flavor and moisture that ground turkey really needs. i do these bun-less to save calories & top with low fat pepper jack cheese, more salsa verde, and pickled jalapeños, cause i like it spicy. you can also serve with a side of avocado to add some healthy fat to the mix... and well, because you can.
the fries are so simple - russet potato + olive oil + salt and pepper + an oven, and you've got yourself homemade fries. i first saw these in gwyneth paltrow's first cookbook and have been making them as a healthy side ever since.
ingredients | makes four turkey burgers + two servings of fries
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup salsa verde + extra for topping
- 4 slices low fat pepper jack cheese
- pickled jalapeños, cabbage, avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, green onion - the topping list goes on and on!
no fry fries
- 1 russet potato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt + fresh ground pepper
instructions - turkey burgers
- mix together ground turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, and salsa verde in a bowl.
- separate into four even servings. mold into patties.
- spray your grill pan and grill on each side for about 7 minutes each. while grilling, use two spatulas to press the patties together and keep them intact.
- after you've flipped after your last 7 minutes, top with a piece of pepperjack cheese and let grill until melted on top.
- place on plate and top with toppings!
instructions - no fry fries
- heat oven to 450 degrees.
- cut potato in half horizontally; cut evenly into 1/3 inch pieces.
- place in a bowl of cold water for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- remove from water and dry thoroughly. i usually let mine sit and air dry a bit - these do best when they are completely dried.
- toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- place on baking sheet.
- bake for 25 minutes, turning occasionally. i usually set my timer for 15 minutes, flip, and then put them back in for the remainder of the time.
these burgers and fries are completely guilt free but in such a sneaky way. make them for game day, or the first day of spring, or even year round - you can always make an excuse for this kind of burger.
til next time,