i originally made this the first day of 2015. i specifically remember waking up and, for whatever reason, i didn’t really feel like following a recipe. so i winged it, and now we have this delicious breakfast pizza.
i then nostalgically remembered that on the first day of 2014, i made the spiced apple crumb muffin recipe from gwyneth paltrow’s my father’s daughter, one of the first cookbooks i ever received.
it’s funny to see what can happen in a year or so.
the great thing about this breakfast pizza is you can easily customize it to whatever you like or have on hand. vegetarian? great, replace the meat with corn and black beans! don’t have sausage at home? totally fine, use some bacon, ham, or chorizo. the beauty of this recipe was that well, it was kind of made up, and it ended up being something pretty awesome.
rustic breakfast pizza | source: #chefhaley’s brain
ingredients | serves four to five
- 1 premade pizza dough (i did store bought!)
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 6oz spicy italian sausage
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 russet potato, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
- pico de gallo
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- salt & pepper
1. preheat your oven to 445 degrees.
2. sit out pizza dough for at least 30 minutes to rise to room temperature.
2. while your dough is out, dice up your 1 bell pepper and mince your 1 clove of garlic. set aside.
3. next, chop up your 1 russet potato. place the potato into cold water immediately. let soak for 5 minutes, then drain and lay out to dry thoroughly.
4. saute your spicy italian sausage in a pan for about 5-8 minutes, until cooked through. once cooked, set aside and leave fat in the pan.
5. now saute your bell pepper, garlic, and russet potato in that leftover sausage fat (sounds awful, but it is such an easy way to add flavor!) you can add 1 tbsp of olive oil if you need more fat in the pan. once browned, after about 10 minutes, set aside.
4. now that your pizza dough is room temperature, split into two sections and hand roll each section in cornmeal. roll or hand knead pizza doughs into even sizes.
5. place both pizza dough halves on a greased baking sheet.
6. top each pizza dough with ¼ cup salsa then with ¼ cup shredded cheese. next up, the sautéed bell peppers, garlic, and potatoes, then the sausage.
7. make little wells in each of the toppings on the pizzas and carefully crack an egg into each well.
8. bake at 445 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
9. top with pico de gallo, avocado, and extra cheese and salsa.
10. slice and serve! serves about 4-5.
hope you enjoy it!