it's about time i put a southern recipe on here, am i right?
chicken and dumplings is the homiest, coziest recipe that i probably can whip up from memory. it's a simple one-pot dish that you can prep in the early afternoon and have an amazing, flavorful dinner by nightfall.
i took an already pretty easy recipe and simplified it even more by using a rotisserie chicken. you don't get the crispy skin - but the flavor in the broth and the dumplings are so good, you'll hardly miss it.
easy chicken + dumplings
adapted from gwenyth paltrow's recipe in my father's daughter
ingredients | serves 4
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken
- coarse salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 small leek, chopped
- 1 slice bacon, finely diced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tsp half-and-half
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- preheat your oven to 400 degrees f.
- deconstruct your rotisserie chicken, collecting the meat and discarding the bones. place in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. add your vegetables, bacon, bay leaf, and thyme to the pot and season with salt and pepper. sauté for 2 minutes until fragrant. lower temp and cook for 15 minutes over medium-low heat.
- add the chicken to the pot and stir to combine.
- add white wine and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- add stock and water, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
- turn off the heat, and place the lid on top of your dutch oven.
- place in the oven and cook for 1.5 hours.
- before the timer beeps, combine the flour, baking powder, half-and-half, and salt together in a bowl.
- take the pot out of the oven and place heaping spoonfulls of batter on top of the chicken mixture.
- cover the pot and place it back in the oven for 10 more minutes.
- uncover and serve immediately (with brut rosé as shown above)
next time you're feeling up for a cozy day at home, you'll have the perfect recipe to accompany your netflix marathon.
hope you love it!