spaghetti squash. what a concept. i never really got the hype... until i made this beauty. and now, here we are, and i'm enlightened so much so that i'm sharing it with you.
this is addicting - i think we made it twice in one week because we liked it so much! it definitely became a staple in our rotation for colder weather days and when we wanted something hearty but still super healthy.
try it - you won't regret it!
sausage + kale spaghetti squash
ingredients | serves four
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb italian chicken sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- preheat your oven to 450.
- prep your spaghetti squash. microwave for 4-5 minutes, then cut open length wise with a very sharp, large knife. do NOT hurt yourself. enlist a strong person to help you on this one.
- place both halves cut side up on a baking sheet. drizzle with olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper.
- roast at 450 for 50 minutes.
- in the meantime, prep your veggies. chop your garlic and onion; remove the stems and chop your kale. don't skip removing the stems - they taste AWFUL. trust me.
- grab your spaghetti squash once it's done roasting. scoop out the "noodles" from the skin and place in a bowl to cool.
- heat olive oil in a medium pan. sauté your garlic and onion, 3-5 minutes.
- add in the chicken sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon into smaller pieces.
- add in your kale until wilted.
- finally, incorporate spaghetti squash and toss to combine.
- top with pine nuts and extra black pepper. serve and prepare to be converted to a spaghetti squash lover!
make this next time you have a rainy, lazy day. it's kind of no fun waiting that long for it to bake, teasing you with the yummy smells and promises from me of tasting delicious, but if you anticipate ahead of when hunger strikes, it's way worth the planning.
hope you love it!